Android being opensource is meant to be tweaked and hacked around with but fiddling around without backup can cause your device to get locked, bricked. This is where Android Device Bridge, ADB and Fastboot drivers save the day. Installing these two drivers is the first step to getting your device operational. No matter how complex or complicated the issue, ADB and fastboot will help you untangle the mess with ease.
|Courtesy: Maria Elena, Flickr|
- 11 Effective Ways to Check for Fraud Companies and Fake Job Offers
- Top 15 Awesome Comic Book Android Apps
- Top Educational Android Apps to Boost Productivity
- 6 Great Ways to Boost Your Torrent Downloading Speed
WHAT IS ADB
Android Debug Bridge (adb) is a command line tool that lets you communicate with an android emulator or connected Android device such as phone, tablet etc.
WHAT IS FASTBOOT
Fastboot is a diagnostic protocol used primarily to modify the flash filesystem in Android smartphones from another computer over a USB connection. It is part of the Android Software Development Kit (SDK)
INSTALLING ADB & FASTBOOT
- Download this file containing necessary files for ADB and Fastboot.
- Extract the adbfastboot.zip file in your C: Drive such that the path now is C:\adbfastboot alternatively you can copy the file to any other suitable folder/drive.
- Press Win + R to bring up the 'Run' box and type in sysdm.cpl and click OK.
- System Properties window will open up.
- Go to Advanced tab --> Click on Environment Variables
- At the Environment Variables window, under System variables, click on Path, and then click on the Edit button:
- When the Edit System Variable window pops up, type in ;C:\adbfastboot (along with semi-colon) at the extreme end and hit OK
- Alternatively if you have copied it to a different location then you can copy that path by going to that folder and clicking on the small yellow folder icon. Then perform the same drill as mentioned above
- Click OK. Installation is complete!
ACCESSING ADB & FASTBOOT
To use ADB and Fastboot simply open up command prompt and type in instructions such as : adb [command] or fastboot [command].
To obtain a full list of commands of ADB/Fastboot simply type adb or fastboot in command prompt.
NOTE : This tutorial is limited to Installation of ADB/Fastboot on Windows only. If you want to access your android device using ADB/Fastboot then refer to THIS TUTORIAL.